HISTORY

Treatments
BABY #1- 6 Clomid cycles, 2 IUIs with Femara, 1 IVF with 3 embryos transferred, 2 more IUIs with Femara & Follistim, and finally 1 IUI with Follistim.
BABY #2 - 2 Follistim cycles and natural conception
BABY #3 - natural conception, miscarried at 10 weeks
BABY #4 - natural conception

Timing
Decided to start a family May 2005. After testing & un-related delays, began first treatment cycle Oct 2005. First pregnancy confirmed Sept 2007. Second pregnancy confirmed Mar 2011. Third & fourth pregnancies - 2015.

For other IF couples
If you want to skip back to our infertility adventures, please see the history on the right hand margin. There you can find our journey from 2005 through 2007.

Friday, February 23, 2007

Retrieval & transfer

I've been away from my computer for roughly a week & a half, I think that's some kind of record for me. I've been trying to rest just like the doctors expect so that everything will go right with this first round of IVF!

~ RETRIEVAL 2/14/07~

We had our retrieval on Valentine's Day in the early AM. I got a little nervous just as a I was in the back room waiting for my turn (someone else had to be there even earlier than us for their retrieval). But it was no big deal, just a little prick to numb me up for the IV. Then once the IV was in and they were ready, I was out like a light. The last thing I said (or remember saying anyway) is 'that was fast'. I had started to feeel the anesthesia as soon as he said he'd started it. The procedure takes about 10 mins itself, it's all the other hoopla that takes awhile. I got a little nauseated from the anesthesia but was sent on my way pretty soon. Jack got me home & made sure I was all comfy & following dr orders. They had gotten 20 eggs from me which is really good!

DM came by shortly after we got home and she helped DH to take care of me. I was surprised to find the worst part was the bloating & gas. It was miserable! It went away very very slowly & really was uncomfortable through Friday.

~ TRANSFER 2/19/07 ~

Our transfer had been tentatively scheduled for Saturday morning. However, we heard from the embryologist on Fri that he wanted to wait until Monday. Of the 20 eggs, 18 were usuable (1 not viable & 1 was immature). They performed ICSI on all 18 and 16 of them fertilized normally. As of Fri, they were ranging from 2-5 cells (that was Day 2) and he felt they would benefit from being cultured thru the weekend. Sat he called us again saying that we'd transfer at 2:30 on Monday and that 9-10 of our embies were looking 'really good' (Day 3).

I felt a lot better through the weekend, having finally been able to get rid of the majority of the bloating and get around better. DM had stayed thru Fri AM and then was just me & DH for the weekend. By then I really didn't need much, was just anxious for Monday to come.

We started off at the acupuncture clinic a few buildings down. My acupuncturist did some needling to prepare my body for the transfer. Then we headed over to NCCRM.

Compared to the retrieval (and its afteraffects), the transfer was a cakewalk. First they showed us the embryos in the incubator (thru a microscope), said they wanted to transfer THREE embryos! and then got me ready for transfer. They got the US ready so the dr could see what he was doing, then they transferred our babies thru a cathedar into my uterus. There was no pain (all I had was a valium) and it was over quick. Then DH & I just chatted while I laid there for 15 minutes.



2 of the 3 embies were blastocysts which is supposed to be a good thing. So we really are excited and hoping to find that I'm pregnant! In the picture they gave us, only one (lower middle) was actually a blastocyst at the time. I think he said they had taken this picture Monday morning and that the one on the right became a blastocyst during the day before the transfer.

Afterward, we went back over for more acupuncture & then on home. I was on bedrest through Thursday and then still resting today though I've been up & about. I go back tomorrow to have my progesterone levels checked & then on 3/5 have the first beta test. (That's when we find out if I'm preggo or not). Though they do 3 tests and want to see the numbers rising, so I'm not sure if they consider us pregnant for sure until the 3rd beta.

No comments: