HISTORY

Treatments
BABY #1- 6 Clomid cycles, 2 IUIs with Femara, 1 IVF with 3 embryos transferred, 2 more IUIs with Femara & Follistim, and finally 1 IUI with Follistim.
BABY #2 - 2 Follistim cycles and natural conception
BABY #3 - natural conception, miscarried at 10 weeks
BABY #4 - natural conception

Timing
Decided to start a family May 2005. After testing & un-related delays, began first treatment cycle Oct 2005. First pregnancy confirmed Sept 2007. Second pregnancy confirmed Mar 2011. Third & fourth pregnancies - 2015.

For other IF couples
If you want to skip back to our infertility adventures, please see the history on the right hand margin. There you can find our journey from 2005 through 2007.

Friday, February 22, 2008

fasting while pregnant.. fun stuff

It's really not that bad to have to do the 3 hour glucose test, just kind of a hassle.

I had a lot of different labs to choose from, and the easiest for me was the WakeMed in Clayton. Because of some initial confusion over my appt (my doc apparently didn't get my message indicating which location I was using & never sent my referral over), I got started a little late.

The initial blood test was a finger-prick & was tested using what looked like a simple home diabetes monitor. Then I had my choice of an orange drink or a cola drink. I picked the orange b/c I'd had it before plus she said the cola flavored one was like a flat sugary soda, didn't sound great. They poured it in a cup of ice with a straw which helped it go down easier. Once that was done, she setup blood draws at 10:03, 11:03, and 12:03. They didn't care if I stayed there or not but I did most of the time. It was kinda gray, wet & cold out today & Wal-Mart was about the only place to go. I listened to my iPod or read my book while I waited (though I did pick up a couple of cute pink items at WalMart for my girlfriends upcoming baby shower during one of the breaks).

The blood draws were the regular draw from my arms. I hadn't really thought ahead of time about the math of 4 blood draws and only 2 arms. But as I said the first turned out to be a finger-prick, so that left 3 draws from my arms. The tech was able to take the last 2 draws from my right arm without causing me any extra pain. She was really good at it compared to some I've had before, no bruising or soreness at all today. It turned out she was a Chi Omega alum from my chapter too. (Thanks again Aunt J for my purse, I've met several XOs or XO family members since I started carrying it).

The worst part was after the test was over. The tech asked me every hour how I was feeling (hungry, but fine, thanks) but I was really doing okay. Apparently some women have a rough time, even as bad as vomiting she told me (ugh, then you have to reschedule & start over!). But I felt okay as I left Clayton & headed for Fuquay to meet Jack & his paralegal for lunch. While waiting for them, I started to get a little hot, and the hunger was getting a little more urgent. I ordered an appetizer just as they walked in .. and told the waitress to hurry b/c I was 'pregnant & fasting'. LOL, poor girl. Before it came to the table, I started getting really hot & my limbs were starting to feel tingly. I didn't get dizzy or faint, but felt kinda like that was coming. It was pointed out to me that I also get a little grouchy when I'm hungry. I guess I wasn't quite the picture of politeness. Soon as I had a little food in me, I was back to normal. So any of you ladies that are about to take this same test - don't ignore the recommendation to bring a snack. Bring it, and eat it as soon as the test is over. I had one but didn't think it was necessary & might 'ruin' my lunch. But in that restaurant I was wishing I'd just eaten it before I came in.

So anyhow, I won't know my results today. But I do have my 2 week checkup on Monday, so assume the doc will tell me the news by then at the latest. *Fingers crossed*

No comments: