HISTORY

Treatments
BABY #1- 6 Clomid cycles, 2 IUIs with Femara, 1 IVF with 3 embryos transferred, 2 more IUIs with Femara & Follistim, and finally 1 IUI with Follistim.
BABY #2 - 2 Follistim cycles and natural conception
BABY #3 - natural conception, miscarried at 10 weeks
BABY #4 - natural conception

Timing
Decided to start a family May 2005. After testing & un-related delays, began first treatment cycle Oct 2005. First pregnancy confirmed Sept 2007. Second pregnancy confirmed Mar 2011. Third & fourth pregnancies - 2015.

For other IF couples
If you want to skip back to our infertility adventures, please see the history on the right hand margin. There you can find our journey from 2005 through 2007.

Monday, February 25, 2008

now what?

Turns out I do have gestational diabetes. The doc at my checkup wasn't too helpful though. He basically just said the dietician will explain it all. What I did manage to get out of him was that they expected it to be controlled by diet (so no drugs or insulin) and that I would need to monitor my blood. I don't see the dietician until next Monday, so I have a little time before I learn all the details.

I do know from common sense, research & watching my BIL, that I'll have to watch sugars & carbs. The question is to what extent. I've got a book, Every Woman's Guide to Eating during Pregnancy, that Jack & I have been pulling some recipes from for our dinners, and it had a little info on GD. It had a simple list of foods to avoid & some to avoid in the morning specifically. I also has a few sample menus (nothing that excited me) and some high level explanation of the condition itself. I won't try to quote the book as that would be boring to read, but did learn that hormones in the placenta cause the cells to not respond properly to the insulin. That results in the glucose to back up in the blood instead of being used in the cells for energy. Thus the high blood sugar levels.

So, for someone widely known as a 'picky' eater, this is going to be an issue for me. I know everyone tells me I'll get used to it and that it's really not that big of a deal. But, this is my blog, and I can say this sucks. I like what I like, and really don't like whatever I don't like. I don't want to change. But I will. For me & my baby. And all along, I'll be glad that I only have to do this for about 11 weeks.

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

My husband has diabetes and is the world's most picky eater. He mainly eats meat and vegetables now. Something that has worked for him is to get some of those 100 calorie packs. They are nice controlled portions that you know exactly how many carbs you are getting. That way, he can have some treats without getting in trouble.

He also eats a huge amount of sugar free popsicles. They have very few carbs. There are also some low carb ice cream bars from Carb Smart. They don't have quite as few carbs as the sugar free popsicles, but are still good.

Mickie said...

Thanks Jen! I'll definitely have to try your suggestions. Other than the obvious things, I've not made too many changes yet, but will definitely follow docs orders (dieticians orders I guess) once I know.