HISTORY

Treatments
BABY #1- 6 Clomid cycles, 2 IUIs with Femara, 1 IVF with 3 embryos transferred, 2 more IUIs with Femara & Follistim, and finally 1 IUI with Follistim.
BABY #2 - 2 Follistim cycles and natural conception
BABY #3 - natural conception, miscarried at 10 weeks
BABY #4 - natural conception

Timing
Decided to start a family May 2005. After testing & un-related delays, began first treatment cycle Oct 2005. First pregnancy confirmed Sept 2007. Second pregnancy confirmed Mar 2011. Third & fourth pregnancies - 2015.

For other IF couples
If you want to skip back to our infertility adventures, please see the history on the right hand margin. There you can find our journey from 2005 through 2007.

Sunday, August 04, 2013

Book Review: The PCOS Workbook: Your Guide to Complete Physical and Emotional Health

PCOS still affects me regularly even though I've quit the TTC hoopla.  Unfortunately PCOS does not only affect our ability to get pregnant, but also can affect our overall health.  As I'm trying to focus a little more on my personal health now, I have been reading through some PCOS books lately and wanted to review one here.  Most of the ones I've read are not that helpful for someone who is not trying to get pregnant.  This one seems to focus on getting better first and infertility second.

The PCOS Workbook: Your Guide to Complete Physical and Emotional Health

by Angela Grassi and Stephanie Mattei


I was able to get this one through my library but I will be ordering a copy to keep at home!  I highly recommend checking it out to see if it can help you in whatever stage of your PCOS adventure you are in right now.  

What is PCOS?

The workbook starts off with the same overview of PCOS that you really can get anywhere.  What is different in the beginning from the very first page through the entire book, is that you record your personal responses to questions and prompts right in the workbook.  (I obviously couldn't do this in the library version, so you see why I am getting my own copy). This gives you a chance to really think through how you are being affected and what you can do (or are willing to do) to improve your situation.  

Nutrition and PCOS

This is pretty much a key factor in PCOS and if you have done any research so far, you already know this. Low carb is essential for PCOS treatment, yuck.  (I love carbs!)  I did like how the book provided a few alternatives that I had not seen elsewhere such as a list of substitutions you could make (you know, eat this instead) and sample menus. They also address the emotional aspect of food (do you have food regrets? negative associations with veggies, etc?).  

Infertility

I can't leave out the infertility section on an infertility blog.  This is covered, but not until the eight chapter.  Which really showed to me that the authors are concerned with the disease as a whole, not just how it affects getting pregnant.  I really only skimmed this section since it did not apply to me.  However the information covered seemed to match what I have come to know about PCOS through other sources.  Still it is useful information if you need it.  

The PCOS Workbook: Your Guide to Complete Physical and Emotional Health

Overall I was very happy with the information in this workbook and I can't wait for my copy to arrive so I can start to work through all the activities.  Hubby and I are both planning to gradually reduce our carb intake (starting on our next grocery trip!) and once we have started to get used to the changes, we are going to see if I can handle a major carb reduction (no soda? ack!).  He has done the Atkins diet several times in the past, so we know he can sustain a ridiculously low carb diet for long periods of time.  Me, hmm.. not so much.  

*This post is not sponsored.  All opinions are my own.  

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi Mickie! I'm Heather and I was wondering if you could answer my question I have about your blog! Please email me when you get a free moment at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)